Thursday, 24 September 2015

'Never let strangers kiss your baby': Mother's warning to parents after her daughter is hospitalised with near-fatal cold


A mother has warned parents not to let anyone kiss their newborn on the mouth after her baby daughter was hospitalised with potentially fatal cold sores.

Doncaster-based Claire Henderson's little girl Brooke had to spend five days in hospital with horrific blisters that could have caused liver and brain damage.

Ms Henderson, who is engaged to partner Steven Perkins, has since sent a heartfelt Facebook message to inform other mothers of the dangers.

Worried Claire took to social media and wrote: 'Please share this with every new mum and pregnant woman you know... COLD SORES CAN BE FATAL FOR A BABY.

'Before 3 months old a baby cannot fight the herpes virus. If a baby contracts this it can cause liver and brain damage and lead to death.'


She added: 'I know this sounds like I am scaremongering but if my friend had not told me about this my baby girl could have been very seriously ill.'

The post has so far been shared more than 35,000 times.